1. The 7-day virtual detox is designed to help you transition to a mono diet consisting of homemade kichadi (an easy to digest meal made from a mixture of basmati rice and mung dahl beans). Kichadi is traditionally prepared in Ayurveda to stimulate the removal of accumulated toxins (ama).
2. Once you register for this program, you will receive an email with a complete menu plan and specific instructions on what to do and eat each day of the program.
3. The primary goal of the the 7-Day Ayurvedic Cleanse is to boost your detoxification system and set the stage for healthy, sustainable weight loss. The key to weight loss is training your body to start using stored fat as energy, which will stabilize your blood sugar levels and eliminate unhealthy cravings.
When you eat five to six times a day, you don’t give your digestive system time to rest. By gradually transitioning to eating regular meals, three times a day, you will train your body to tap into its stored energy reserves of fat. You want to get rid of excess fat not just to lose weight, but also because your fat cells provide storage space for molecules of suppressed emotion, fat-soluble toxins, pollutants, pesticides and other cancer-causing chemicals.
4. At first, it may be challenging to make the transition towards eating three regular meals each day, especially if you are used to snacking all the time. This is why it is important to get support throughout the cleanse.
Throughout the course of the program, my recommendation is that you avoid dairy with the exception of ghee (clarified butter used in Ayurvedic medicine).
You can buy organic, grass-fed ghee at Whole Foods or any other health food store. Better yet, make it yourself. Here is an easy recipe.
5. Coffee and all acid forming foods should be eliminated during the seven days if possible. This includes red meat, alcohol, processed sugar of all kind, wheat, dairy, soda and all carbonated drinks.
6. It is my recommendation to start a journal through this process to write about your experience. It may be helpful to keep a record of the foods you are eating in order to better see how your body responds to the meals each day. Click here to download the weekly food journal template.
7. The one thing I want to strongly emphasize is that you should not feel starved at any point during this cleanse. While going through physical detox, it is important to feel calm and relaxed.
The reason why 90% of diets fail is that they are too restrictive. You force your body to go into a state of emergency through eliminating foods you naturally crave. This creates a lot of stress which raises your cortisol levels. Elevated cortisol prompts your body to store fat and burn glucose for energy. The end result is that you gain more weight after the diet is over than you lost while on it. This is obviously not a sustainable and healthy way to live.
That being said, you have to always ask yourself whether you are eating because you are truly hungry or because you are bored, anxious or stressed out. Sometimes too the body mistakes thirst for hunger so every time you feel hungry, especially if it is soon after your last meal, drink a glass of water and see how you feel.